Saturday, January 25, 2014

Struggles and how I overcome(draft 3, final product)

Name: Zhang Yining
Class: Perseverance 1
Date: 26 Jan 2014
Title: Struggles and how I overcome (draft 3, writing techniques) Final product


  I can’t do this! I wept. I was poring over my Mathematics textbook, and as usual, I could barely make head or tail of the formulas and models within. Most of my friends sought out private tuition when the going got tough in school. However, my family could ill afford the expenses, I was on my own. After ages of futile studying, I finally sought out my Mathematics teacher.

  Miss Lim,’ I began, ‘I want to drop Mathematics as a Final Examination of Primary School subject. .It’s too difficult for me.

  Miss Lim paused, and then said, ‘you need to pass this subject in your final exams, no matter what it takes. It’s essential for entry into many post-secondary courses of study. You shouldn’t give up so easily.

  I was so surprised, as I had expected Miss Lim to simply agree to my request. Quickly, she drew up a chair next to her, gestured to me to sit down, and opened her textbook. That day, I sat down to a three-hour-long remedial session with her. I was touched by her refusal to give up on me, and that drove me not to give up on myself. Mathematics was just another challenge in my schooling life. I would not succumb to it.

  I began to seek hours of help each week from Miss Lim, and spent even longer time at home on extra practices. Every day, I burn the midnight oil. It was a process that took an infinite amount of endurance. However, two months later, I finally passed my first class test. The impossible finally seemed a little possible.

  In the winkling of an eye, the exam was drawing near. It was during my Preliminary Examinations that I truly realised how far I had come. I was surprised to find myself doing the sums with ease. I even feel like it was childs play. When the scripts were returned two weeks later, Miss Lim smiled and congratulated me on my first ‘A’ grade.


  I could not wipe the grin off my face. I thanked her profusely, and felt deeply proud of myself. I had done it! With Miss Lim’s help, I had learnt that perseverance and good hard work were often the best solutions to seemingly impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment